The Sacred Turtles of Kadavu introduces us to a travel experience that acquaints us with a strange ritual on a Fijian island. It takes us far beyond our ordinary lives to the exploration of the real self of a land which is embedded in its customs, traditions and rituals. Read the legend.
Sample Questions from The Sacred Turtles of Kadavu
- Imagine that you are the curator of a renowned Museum of Arts, visited by thousands of tourists every year. Prepare an introductory speech welcoming the tourist to the museum.
- Prepare a write-up on a ritual/ practice in your locality, highlighting the plot, characters, local culture, social/historical aspects, the relevance of the ritual in the current scenario and its impact on society.
- Who do you think are really punished: the Nabukelevu fishermen or the two women from Namuana? Think of the situation in the present context of atrocities against women. Conduct a debate on the topic ‘Are women empowered in our society?’ Write arguments FOR and AGAINST the topic
- You have read the story of an unusual Fijian ritual. Can you think of similar rituals practised in your locality? Prepare a write-up on a ritual popular in your locality.
- Prepare a travel brochure of a place of your choice (a place of tourist importance in your locality or a tourist spot you visited recently).
- Prepare a Travel Info of a place of your choice.
- Imagine yourself to be a travel guide. A group of tourists visits one of the most popular tourist spots of your locality. How would you welcome them? Prepare the script of a speech you will make on the occasion, introducing the tourist spot to the visitors.
- You have decided to visit the island of Kadavu in Fiji and approach a travel agency to make arrangements. Write the conversation that may occur between you and the travel agent.