Christine Lagarde was the first woman Finance Minister of France. In her speech ‘The 3Ls of Empowerment‘ she speaks about the basic requisites of women empowerment. She considers learning, labour and leadership the keys to women empowerment.
Notes and Videos on The 3Ls of Empowerment
- Your school is conducting an elocution competition in connection with your school youth festival. You are also, a contestant. The topic for the elocution is ‘Challenges of Women Empowerment.’ Prepare a script for your speech.
- Read the following excerpt from a newspaper article:
A society that is unable to respect, protect and nurture its women and children loses its moral moorings and runs adrift.
Prepare the script of a persuasive speech, expressing your comments on the statement, to be delivered in your school on the International Women’s Day.
- There is an adage that says : “If you educate a boy, you train a man. If you educate a girl, you train a village”. Prepare a write-up expressing your views on this in about 60 words.
- Imagine that your school is conducting an essay writing competition in connection with ‘International Women’s Day’ celebrations. You are also a contestant. The topic for the essay is ‘The relevance of empowering women.’ Write an essay of about 200 words.
- After reading Christine Lagarde’s speech, a social worker is speaking to the people of your locality about the need for educating women. Fill in the blanks choosing the appropriate adjectives / adjectival clauses:
Education helps women to be ______ (seriously / financially / sustainably) independent and to break the shackles of exclusion. Women who (look good / look after children / study) actually help themselves and their community. If learning is the first step, labour is the second. Women who (procure labour / suffer discrimination / challenge the social norms) are able to flourish and achieve their true potential. They contribute to the development and well-being of the community. So it is (clear / essential / favourable) that women equip themselves with education.
- Prepare a script for a short speech on the topic ‘Role of women in the Modern Society’.
(Hints: role of modern education – out of the home – in work place – all duties – independent – equality – leadership)
- Prepare an essay on the topic “Women in Leadership”.
(Hints: capable of taking leadership – in business, politics, various jobs commonsense and evaluating ability -examples of leaders)