Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas is a beautiful story that awakens readers to the true spirit of friendship. It tells us how two friends fought in a boxing match like total strangers, still keeping their friendship intact. The two friends thus epitomize sportsman spirit to its fullest extent. “The important thing in sport is not winning but taking part. The essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”
Notes on ‘Amigo Brothers’ by Piri Thomas
- The conversation given below is part of an interview that Antonio and Felix gave to a reporter. What would be the reported version of the conversation?
Reporter : Has the fight affected your friendship?
Antonio : Never. We never take fighting into our hearts.
Reporter : Who, in your opinion is the winner of the fight?
Felix : That question doesn’t bother us. Both of us are winners.
- You have witnessed the fight between the Amigo brothers and have been quite impressed by the way it ended. Prepare a write-up about the climax of the fight. (Score: 5)
- The story ‘Amigo Brothers’ is a celebration of friendship. Prepare a blog about ‘true friendship’ to be posted in the social media. (Score: 5)
- You might have got sincere friends whom you treasure more than anything else. Write a paragraph about your intimate friend. (Score: 4)
- Two days after the fight between Antonio and Felix, they receive a letter from the secretary of the Golden Gloves Championship informing that both have been selected for the tournament. Prepare the letter. (Score: 6)
- Moved by the Amigo Brother7 s story of intimacy read from the newspaper you write a letter to Felix and Antonio congratulating them. Prepare the letter. (Score: 5)
- Imagine yourself to be the announcer/commentator of the boxing match between Antonio and Felix. Write the script of the announcement that could be used before the match. (Score: 5)
- After reading the story ‘Amigo Brothers’, certain students opined that boxing is a cruel game. But you have a different view. So your friends decide to conduct a debate on the topic ‘Boxing is a cruel game arousing animal instincts.’ What would be the possible arguments of your friends who support the topic. Write three points. (Score: 3)
- “They remain uncompromising in fight, and in love as well”. This is the title of a news report that appeared in a daily about the Amigo brothers’ fight. Prepare a detailed news report. (Score: 8)
- Imagine that you are the reporter of a local TV channel. After the bout between Antonio and Felix, you were asked to interview them. Prepare a set of five questions to be asked to Antonio and Felix as part of the interview.
(Hints: reason for quitting the scene without waiting for the result- thoughts during the fight, after the fight -their friendship- future plans etc.) (Score: 5)
- There are a few errors in each line of the excerpt given below. Identify and correct them.
Antonio nodded quitely. (a)
“Yeah. We both know that in the ring the better man win. (b)
It’s fair, Tony. When we get to the ring, it’s got to be like we never met. (c)
We got to be like two heavy strangers that wants the same thing and only one can have it. (d)
You understood?” (e)
- The boxing competition between Antonio and Felix is coming to an end. Imagine yourself to be the announcer / commentator of the boxing match between Antonio and Felix. Write the script of the announcement that could be used to conclude the event. (Score: 5)
- There are lots of similarities and differences between Antonio and Felix. Prepare a paragraph comparing and contrasting the characters of both. (Score: 5)
- The sports association of your school decides to honour Antonio and Felix for upholding their values even at the cost of victory. You are selected to deliver a speech to felicitate them. Draft the felicitation speech that you are likely to make there. (Score: 8)
Bong! Bong! Bong! “Ladies and Gentlemen. The winner and representative to the Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions is ….
The announcer turned to point to the winner and found himself alone. Arm in arm, the champions had already left the ring.
Imagine that you are asked to give a caption to the given two paragraphs. What caption will you consider to suit the emotions depicted in the paragraph?
- You have been asked to compere the annual cultural festival of your school. Prepare a comprehensive text for effectively compering the programme.
- “Next day, the newspapers came out with the wonderful story of Amigo Brothers in the Boxing Ring.” Imagine that you have been asked to report the same event for a newspaper. How would you report it? What aspect will you project for your readers? Prepare a news report in not more than 70 words.
- Have you ever found yourself in a situation where love overshadowed competition and hate? If so, share your personal experience in a short paragraph.
- Comment on the friendship portrayed in the story ‘Amigo Brothers’ in about 60 words.
- Read the excerpt from the story ‘Amigo Brothers’ and answer the questions that follow.
“The announcer turned to point to the winner and found himself alone. Arm in arm, the champions had already left the ring.”
- Who are the champions referred to here?
- ‘Arm in arm’ in this passage means ……. a) happiness b) friendship c) respect d) concern
- Do you think that it is right on the part of the champions to leave the ring like that? What might have prompted them to do so?
- You are a friend of the Amigo brothers and you witnessed the contest between them with great excitement. Prepare a blog entry describing the contest.