A Three Wheeled Revolution is the text of an interview with Irfan Alam, conducted by Sujatha Ramprasad for India Currents in May 2010. He was interviewed after he participated in the Entrepreneurship Summit in Washington. In this interview, Irfan Alam talks about his interests and activities, especially about his foundation, Sammaan, a social enterprise. He motivates the youth to step into the world of social enterprise and make a change in the society.
- Even extra ordinary personalities like Irfan Alam or Shaheen Mistry may be criticized. Imagine that you happened to read such a blog entry severly criticising both of them and you are deeply upset with some of the points in the blog post. Now prepare a short article commenting on the blog post on Irfan Alam and Shaheen Mistry. (Score: 5)
- Personalities like Irfan Alam influence the young generation a lot. Being inspired by Irfan, your friend has ventured a start up in your nearby town and there is a vaccant post of Managing Director in the company. Imagine that you have the required qualifications for the post. Prepare an application with resume citing your personal details like qualifications, experience… etc. (Score: 8)
- Don’t you enjoy short trips and tours? Imagine that you made an interesting trip to New Delhi and visited the various historical monuments like the Taj Mahal in Agra, The Red Fort, Indian Parliament etc. After the trip you decide to send an e-mail to your friend sharing your experience of the trip. Draft the e-mail. (Score: 5)
- Read the following sentences from ‘A Three Wheeled Revolution’.
“There are several other benefits on which we cannot put a monetary value. Rikshaw pullers now have a sense of belonging and empowerment”.
Now, attempt the questions given below.
- Who makes these statements?
- What does the word “monetary” mean in this context?
- List and explain some of the initiatives undertaken by the speaker to empower the rickshaw community.
- Great people are always very positive in their attitude and take a lot of risks to achieve their goals. Shaheen Mistry and Irfan Alam are people of this kind. What is your view on taking a positive attitude, setting a goal in life and working hard to achieve it? Share your views in a paragraph. (Score: 5)
- ‘Opportunities seek for a chance Entrepreneurs make use of every chance” (anonymous)
The quotation presents the qualities of an entrepreneur. Vision, time management, creativity thoughts etc. are some of the qualities attached with a successful entrepreneur. Prepare a write-up on the qualities of an ideal entrepreneur. (Score: 5)
- You have read the interview with Irfan Alam, the founder of SammaaN Foundation. You are deeply impressed with his creative ideas in transforming the lives of the rickshaw pullers. Now prepare an e-mail to congratulate Irfan Alam and suggest a few more ways to make rickshwas more profitable. (Score: 5)
- Read the sentence given below.
“An entrepreneur is one who identifies an opportunity and puts in conscious efforts to make it an enterprise”.
Now, answer the questions given below.
- Who is the speaker?
- What is your opinion about beginning a start up business?
- Do you have any interesting plan for a start up? Explain.
- A small paragraph on TIME MANAGEMENT prepared by a student is given below. There are a few mistakes in it. Identify them and write the correct form. Time is most precious than money. Money lose can be regained, but time once lost is lost forever. Time and tide waits for no one. A lost opportunity may spoil one’s life. Those who doesn’t act in time would repent afterwards. (Score: 4)
- Irfan Alam says that entrepreneurship can solve the problem of unemployment. Do you agree with this? Write your thoughts in a paragraph. (Score: 4)
- The underlined phrases in the following sentences are idiomatic expressions. Rewrite these sentences into plain English sentences. (Score: 2)
- Seema felt like a fish out of water in her new class.
- He was all ears when the teacher started talking.
- You have read the interview with Irfan Alam, founder and chairman of SammaaN Foundation. Prepare a blog on Irfan’s ideas of entrepreneurship and the means he adopted to execute his ideas. The blog should be presented in such a way as to motivate the young budding entrepreneurs.
- Your class has decided to conduct a group discussion on the topic “India – A land wonder for Young Entrepreneurs.” You are asked to initiate the discussion. Prepare the script of a presentation you would make on the occasion.
- Irfan Alam comes to your school to inaugurate the Youth Club. Prepare a script for announcement introducing him (Young Entrepreneur – founder and chairman of SammaaN foundation – recognized as one of the top thirty Youth Icons of India by the Times of India).
- Read the following passage and answer the questions given below:
When my parents found out that I was·dabbling in the rickshaw sector as well, they pulled me aside and asked me to stop doing it and concentrate on my studies. So I shelved it, but my interest never waned. (taken from “The Three Wheeled Revolution”)
- The meaning of’ shelved it’ is ………… (decide to do it, to put aside, take as a challenge, find an answer)
- Find out the word which means ‘to become weaker’.
- Based on the passage, complete the conversation between Irfan Alam and his father.
Irfan: (requesting father to give permission to continue his business.)
Father: No, ………..(use phrases expressing an obligation)
………… (use phrases for giving an advice)